Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Vienna 1

I forgot my camera, so all photos were taken by my roommate Beaudry.

I was initially really excited for the secession building because it has an entire room designed by Gustav Klimt. This was the only room we could see, however, because they were in the middle of switching exhibits and we could't get through to see the rest of the interior. It was pretty, but definitely not worth 3.50 euro.

Sculpture of Strauss

The gothic cathedral was one of the main attractions in Vienna.

One of the prettier domes in Vienna. Although most of the architecture in both Budapest and Vienna is from the Hofburg Empire, I prefer the layer of communist dirt on Budapest's buildings to the cleanliness of Vienna.

The Natschmarkt was definitely on of my favorite things in Vienna. The farmers market consisted of tightly backed stalls selling gourmet meats, cheeses, vegetables, wines, and fruit. The pathways were so tightly packed that if someone in front of you stopped to buy something, you pretty much had to wait until they were done to continue. When we went on Saturday there was also a flea market on the southern end selling mostly crap to poor gypsies (we call them Roma here because we are PC). I was able to buy a pashmina-silk blend scarf (green paisley, my favorite) for only 6 euro, which was considerably cheaper than the ones I found in Budapest for Ft. 5,000 (about $25). If I had my own camera, I would have taken many more photos of the stalls, but I didn't, so I'm left with one photo of flowers. Oh well.

No comments: